Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Le Foudroy: A French Website with lots of sketches


In Honor+Intrigue there is no such thing as too many sketches of duelists: Louis Dominique Cartouche (1693 – 1721).
 
When I wrote Requiem for a Doppelsoldner, I wanted to source of the image of the Doppelsöldner that I used for my picture of Otto. A Google Image search led me to web site in French, Le Fouduroy, that has quite a few sketches of 16th and 17th century subjects. Skimming the site, I didn't find any info on the artist. I'd like to know why so many of his posts about women from history depict a modern looking woman in underwear. Like this one which is entitled Catherine Henriette de Balzac d’Entragues (1579 – 1633)

Are these supposed to be the historical woman modernized, are these models from life that for some reason made the artist think of an historical woman? I have no clue.

This, on the other hand, is perfectly usable even though anachronistic.
Elisabeth d’Autriche (1554 – 1592) 
 
Check out Le Fouduroy. And if anyone can tell me why, other than the obvious, there are pictures of modern looking women in their underwear on various posts about historical women I'd be ever so grateful. 




No comments:

Post a Comment