Tuesday, September 27, 2016

What I'm Reading: Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates






I recently read, Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates: The Forgotten War That Changed American History by Brian Kilmeade and Don Yaeger copyright 2015. My wife had read this a liked it. And even though this book covers the time period around 1803, the Barbary Coast pirates were a big problem and thus a matter of interest in the earlier time period of my campaign. In fact one side campaign arc features a mission to negotiate with the pirates of Algiers.
 
The book was acceptable, but what I would call history-lite, which is acceptable for someone unfamiliar with the Tripoli campaign. I give it 2 out of 4 stars.
 
I found The Pirate Coast by Richard Zacks (originally published in January 2005), which I read some years ago, to be a bit meatier. I'd give it at least 2.5 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment